Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of a patient’s teeth and gums. Many patients seek cosmetic dentistry to improve their smile, which can be impacted by discolored or misshapen teeth, cracked or broken teeth, or gaps between teeth. Patients with these issues experience embarrassment and low self-esteem because of their smiles. At Daniel Dentistry, our cosmetic dentist can help correct these concerns and restore a patient’s confidence through various procedures, including veneers, dental crowns, teeth whitening, dental implants, and more. Over time, more and more patients are finding the benefits of improving their smiles with cosmetic dentistry treatments rather than choosing more obvious options such as braces. Patients interested in cosmetic treatments should discuss their options with their dentist to determine which option is best for them and their goals.
What Dental Problems Can Cosmetic Dentistry Fix?
- Crooked teeth or crowded teeth that make it difficult for you to brush and floss properly
- Gaps between your teeth that make your smile look less uniform and attractive
- Uneven or worn-down tooth enamel that makes your tooth surfaces more vulnerable to decay and sensitivity
- Discolored or dark-stained teeth due to age, stains from foods, tobacco use, and other factors
- Chipped or broken teeth that create an uneven surface for chewing and food impaction
- Minor chips or cracks in your tooth’s enamel that only affect the surface level
- Missing or damaged teeth that make it difficult to eat and speak normally, among other issues
Types of Cosmetic Dentistry
The quickest way to improve your smile is to whiten the teeth. This treatment involves using a peroxide-based gel to bleach the enamel of your teeth, lightening them to a whiter shade. It’s a relatively simple process that can be done in our office or even at home with over-the-counter strips.
Another popular procedure is the placement of veneers, which are thin shells designed to cover the front surface of your tooth to hide imperfections and give your smile a more even look.
Crowns are caps that fit over the crowns of the teeth to restore their size, strength, and shape. They can correct a large filling worn away over time or a broken or chipped tooth. They are also commonly used to anchor dental bridges in place when replacing one or more missing teeth.
Another standard procedure is gum reshaping, which can be performed to reduce the appearance of an asymmetrical gum line to improve the look of your smile. A laser removes excess gum tissue and makes the tooth appear longer.
Many patients think cosmetic dentistry focuses on straightening teeth and making your smile more attractive, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg! In reality, cosmetic dentistry can address many dental problems to restore oral health and dental function. For more information about cosmetic dentistry, contact Daniel Dentistry at 19 Inverness Center Pkwy Suite 100, Birmingham, AL 35242, or call (205) 967-0760.